Many many moons ago, I was in high school and the cool place to work was Magic Mountain. My friend and I went in, applied, and we both got jobs. She was picked to work in the wax store (candles, hand-dipping hands for custom pieces) and I was selected for the food place in Hurricane Harbor. The summer was a blur but there’s some things I remember.
First, I always thought it would be AMAZING to work at a theme park. While there are tons of perks, it’s still hard work.
- It was hot.
- It was a far walk from the employee lot to my workplace.
- The uniforms were huge and never fit me. (now they wear khaki’s and polos. I’m so jealous!)
- The food smell was such a tease.
- It sucked watching all the families have fun playing on the water slides while I worked
- Working in the snack shack was torture as you were by yourself.
Some great things about it?
- I met a ton of French people. They were exchange students and had summer jobs there. This was also the summer they won the world cup. It was a party!
- I loved the day we got to eat lunch for free from there (I think it was Sundays). Although it never included dessert.
- I loved the pink lemonade we sold
- I learned about hard work
Yes, that Hard Work is in two spots – the crappy and the happy. Working that job resulted in a lot of things I never thought I’d do. I had to learn to work with others that were different from me. The French employees all spoke English, but they also had a lot of inside jokes that were not shared in English. I learned the value of a dollar and how hard it can be to earn it. I learned I can’t do everything – I was fired from the funnel cake station since I kept burning them.
I enjoyed eating lunch with new people. One of my friends from high school (who is now married to another friend – Nicole) worked on the rides and our lunches often were at the same time. That was probably the most we ever spoke. I always thought he was a shy guy. He can be, but he also can carry on a conversation.
It was a very interesting summer and I really learned a lot. It seems like a lifetime ago, because it was, but definitely a job for the books! Since then I had worked at a toy store, in a clothing store, was a tutor for math, and baby sat.
What was one of your favorite summer jobs?