This post contains affiliate links
I’ve been a small business owner for several years for several different types of business. Each one relies more heavily on one set of supplies than the other. My crystalling business was heavy on the Swarovski crystals, glue, and using 3rd party vendors to create each custom design. My blogging business requires a computer, internet, and paid app subscriptions. My Scentsy business relies on paper products and other small office equipment to keep the business going.
I’ve created this list with some must haves and good-to-haves depending on what business you’re in. I’m always testing out new planners & pens so feel free to follow me on Instagram to see what might be new to me! (Instagram – @Bye_Wicks and @Melissa_Dell).
Must-Have Items for Your Direct Sales Business
1. A Planner – I prefer the Happy Planner by Me and My Big Ideas.
I’ve had the classic but I purchased the large one this year. It’s 8.5×11 paper size and provides a ton of space to write in my to-do’s and social media planning.
There’s also some space to create lists or goal planning at the start of each month. I’ve been modifying mine to reflect some of the big goals from my PowerSheets.
MUST HAVE ACCESSORIES FOR THE HAPPY PLANNER
- Snap-In Hard Cover Case (multiple colors & patterns)
- Happy Planner Punch (to print and insert your own papers)
- Pocket Folder Inserts (be sure to select the correct size for your planner – Although I do enjoy using the smaller sizes in my planner for more options! – See below)
2. A Printer – I prefer the HP Compact All-in-One I received at Blogher 2 years ago. Last year? I can’t recall.
I do a LOT of printing because labeling all-the-things is a necessity with my consumable goods business. I’ve recently been creating and saving tons of labels on Avery.com for easy reprinting.
MUST HAVE LABELS FOR YOUR INKJET PRINTER
- Address size labels for placing your contact information with photo.
- Industrial amount of Address labels (I realized it’s cheaper for me to buy the big 3000 box!)
- Large Shipping labels to create and share your story with on your larger mailers or hand out flyers.
3. All The Pens
I love me some amazing awesome colorful pens to use for my planner, notes to customers, and PowerSheets. Here’s the 3 I have stored by my desk in constant reach
MUST HAVE PENS
- Paper Mate InkJoy Gel Pens – I’ve done the smear test and these hold up! I have the 14 pen pack but they also come in the smaller 8 pack size.
- Paper Mate Flair Pens – These are awesome for doodling as well! There’s a large variety of colors (I have the 12 pack).
- Paper Mate InkJoy Ballpoint Pens – If gel isn’t your thing, then you need to try out these Ballpoint pens! Jon got them for me for Christmas and I love them too!
Good-to-Have Items for Your Direct Sales Business
The items listed here are things to potentially save up for and use as an aid to build your empire.
You’ve seen me share my love of the PowerSheets on Instagram and Facebook and here on the blog. The new ones launch in October and they have been such an important aspect of my monthly goals. It won’t make you achieve the goals – but it will help you identify the big ones, and help you break down and create smaller goals to obtain it without that feeling of being overwhelmed. Definitely find yourself a Sideline Sister or some sort of Accountability partner to check in on you!
2. Cricut – DIY Explosion
What do I use my cricut for? I’ve been using it to brand myself through the Heat Transfer Vinyl and plain tops, creating custom thank you notecards for my customers, and stickers for my Yeti and other travel mugs.
MUST HAVE ACCESSORIES FOR BRANDING
- Heat Transfer Vinyl (iron-on) by Siser Easyweed
- Permanent Vinyl (for stickers) by Oracal. (there’s also a semi-permanent vinyl but I recommend this especially for anything that you’ll be washing)
- Swing Dress – Purchased this and love it. Thinner fabric, but I’ve been wearing it as a coverup for the pool. I’ll be trying out this one next!
3. Point And Shoot – I love this Canon G7X Powershot
I use this camera a lot. In fact almost every photo for my blog has moved from my large DSLR to this portable point and shoot. I use it to record YouTube vidoes, traditional photos and the quality is amazing. It’s a Nice to Have and if you are wanting to dive into video – it’s pretty much a must have!
Thank you so much for following along! If you have any questions – please feel free to send me a message on Instagram!